Applique Thursday 7/12/12

Only corner flowers to go!  And each corner flower has three parts.  Now I have to find some pinks for the petals.

Notes on process:  My favorite tool so far for these is a toothpick.  Yes, a toothpick.  I've been reading Becky and Linda's tips of PieceO'Cake Designs and they use a toothpick to tuck in the seam allowance or straighten those pesky points that form at curves - really works well.  I also heard them on Pat Sloan's radio program. Very interesting show.  Just google Pat Sloan radio and you'll get a list of the recent shows.

The other thing I found was that the center fabric I chose was very loosely woven and hard to use for applique.  It's a Kaffe Fassett fabric. I love the designs on his fabrics, so what was I to do?  I decided to starch it and that helped minimize the fraying.  Phew!

Our winner last week of the 5" batik charm is  Connie of Quilting by the River.   Congrats! I'll be sending out your charm shortly.  Another is waiting for someone.  All you need to do is comment or link to have a chance for it to be yours.  Or do both and have two chances.  Submissions end Sunday night.

Would love to see your eye candy that you're working on - applique or otherwise.  It could be one you've just completed, are working on (like me) or dreaming about. Use the blue submit button below.

8 comments:

  1. That's just a great block! I have been traveling so no applique for me this week, but I'm anxious to get back in the saddle soon :*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Connie!!This week no applique block.Don´t count me for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block this week is very nice - love that wild fabric in the middle. I'm ok at applique but not great. Why I bought this big ole piece of cake pattern set is beyond me other than the picture was pretty :) Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy. For me needleturn is very slow, but most enjoyable. Your blocks looks terrific and thanks for the tips. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your applique thursdays! to see what's under your needle and read your comments on your work is entertaining, interesting and informative. i've learned lots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Angie, can't wait to see the batik charm and thanks for sharing about using a toothpick.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...